5.10.2011

typography journal 12

Hillman Curtis Artist Series:

1. Paula Scher: I love the way Scher incorporates typography into the buildings she is hired to create signage for. Her use of typography is interesting and well reflects the atmosphere of the architecture and the designated business or area. What stood out most to me from her video were the ways in which she arranges type to make it more active or engaging, and though it may turn or flip several times, it never becomes too confusing or illegible.

2. David Carson: What I liked about David Carson was the way he overlaid typography onto images. There is a kind of balance, yet a hierarchy with his designs, and I find that fascinating and engaging. What I learned from Carson's video is that the starting point for his work is never the final outcome (pretty, ugly, etc.), but to be engaging and interesting.

3. Mark Romanek: The raw, emotional, and carnal aesthetic of Romanek's work is what I find to be so interesting and intriguing. I find it interesting that he makes his films very detailed when he films them, but when he cuts it together, he cuts out quite a bit because it doesn't work and then embraces accidents which can turn out to be very beautiful. I found his method of working so inspiring, don't plan, just embrace. I would ask Romanek what his favorite video he's ever shot was, as well as what musical artist he would most like to make a video for.

No comments:

Post a Comment