5.10.2011

typography journal 14

My first year as a graphics student is slowly, but surely, coming to a close. I have learned so much this year, and especially this semester, about both myself and myself as a designer. For one, I learned that I can push myself a lot farther than I had originally thought was possible. The late nights, the stress, and the procrastination of first semester taught me quite the lesson, and second semester I had only two all-nighters and did not wait until the last minute as I had previously, though the stress level only increased. However, I have learned to manage my stress and found ways to relax and calm down while I'm working. I also learned about my process and the way in which I go about accomplishing a project. Throughout the year I have been somewhat slow to get to the idea that will end up being the direction in which I choose to take my final piece. This is mostly because I often do not do enough process work and preliminary research as I should, though I do the required amount expected of me for each project, I feel like I could do much more and look at designers on my own time to search for more inspiration and therefore, more ideas. I think this would help my work improve faster so I have more time to improve upon a great idea, than spending time finding a good idea and making an okay final result.

With as much as I have learned and improved upon this year, I'm looking forward to further improvement and developing my design identity. I still feel as though my style could be more sophisticated, refined, and individualized, which are all things I hope to improve upon in my remaining years as a student. Finally, I hope to work on making connections with my peers as well as my professors so I have connections to other designers and feel comfortable asking for feedback and/or help.  Overall, this year has been so eye-opening and interesting, despite the stress and non-stop hard work. If anything, this year has only further confirmed my aspirations of becoming a graphic designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment