2.10.2011

typography journal 03

TED conference videos:
Stefan Sagmeister:
  • I liked how Stefan Sagmeister viewed design from both a consumer aspect and a designer aspect. Design can make consumers happy solely because the consumers are experiencing the design, maybe what the design does or how the design looks. He mentions that from a designer aspect, you can measure happiness by how happy they are during the design process. I would ask him if he thinks the consumer is able to tell how "happy" a designer was during their design process, and if this makes a different in the final outcome of the product. Another important point I think Sagmeiter made was that with the movie industry today, a designer must portray happiness with a more cynical twist to it in order to appear authentic. I think Sagmeister is so popular because he has original and realistic views on design and is able to think from both a designer's standpoint and a consumer's standpoint.

JJ Abrams:

  • I loved listening to JJ Abrams speak. His views were kind of childlike, which I found refreshing because it inspired me to see the beauty in everything, even a Kleenex box. I think his ideas and the way he comes upon them are so revolutionary, and I would love to be able to borrow from his creative process and his stream of thinking. I also love his views on creation; if you want to do it, do it. If I could ask him any question, I would ask him him how his creative thinking process beigns.



Ken Robinson:

  • After recently reading a study that said that healthy sleep habits leads to a wider range of creative thinking, I couldn't help but laugh at the lack of sleep school gives me, and the creativity it requires. This sparked quite a bit of interest in me, and I found it interesting that Ken Robinson's "schools kill creativity" speech was able to tie in to this in a couple broad ways. I love his reminder that children are the most fearless of us all. If they don't know something, they take a chance, they take a stab at it because they're not afraid of being wrong. I love how he challenges the public school system and questions who actually learns from the education process and what the purpose of it is. I found it interesting that he said the goal of public education is to produce University professors, which are often viewed as the highest of human success. I like that he challenges the ideas of what is successful and what is meant to be learned from schooling.





How Good is Good Article:

  • Sagmeister points out that bad design can make the world tougher to live in, whether it be because of unnecessary junk mail or overproduced packaging, or typography and design that make understanding material difficult. He also questions what the designer should strive for to be considered "good"; design for the masses, or design for designers. Sagmeister encourages us as designers to remember that design can do more than promote and sell, it can unify, help us remember, simplify our lives, make someone feel better, make the world a safer place, help people rally behind a cause, inform and teach, make us more tolerant, and raise money, just to name a few areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment