4.01.2011

typography journal 08

Exploring the Design Observer website, I read two articles. Here are some thoughts.

"Type Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry"
    I think some similar, yet better alternatives to Futura are News Gothic (less pointy, and a little less aggressive, though similar x-heights), Avenir (geometric and same width, but switches the single-story "a" to a two-story), and Neutraface (just as quirky as Futura, pointy capital "A" with a low crossbar).

"Ten Graphic Design Paradoxes"
    This article by Adrian Shaughnessy explores ten paradoxes that can be found in graphic design. Some discuss weird ways that you could learn to be a better designer, and others break down the ego that every designer has at one point or another. My favorite paradox is "Ideas usually fail not because they're bad ideas, but because they're badly presented". As a student, I feel as though I can particularly relate to this one, as many of the others speak to a more professional level. I often feel discouraged when working on a project and the amazing design thoughts that are in my head do not translate to the paper well-enough to convince my professors that they are good ideas. I usually end up tossing out these ideas with the belief that they are impossible to convey, or just bad ideas. This article helped me to realize that in fact, I need to just stick with the idea, and show to the best of my ability at that time what the idea could develop into, rather than rely on verbal description, or imagination.
   I also found another paradox to be quite revealing of the world I will soon be a part of upon finishing school: "When a client says the words – "You have complete creative freedom," they never mean complete creative freedom". Schughnessy says it how it is, "Whatever you show them, they will have a problem with. Happens every time."

No comments:

Post a Comment